MerMay might be over, but my interest in mermaids continues to thrive as we enter the summer months. As the next part of my “Mermaid-a-Month” series, I thought I’d cover ten of my favorite mermaid short films, music videos, and related cinematographic content. I’ll be giving actual movie recommendations in a later month, since I have many to suggest, but right now, I’m just focusing on short videos:
- Kiss of a Siren by NuMe, which earned Best Film at the 2014 International Fashion Film Awards.
- Psycho Princess: The Little Mermaid by the Vancouver Film School. It is one of their multiple renditions of popular fairy tales with dark twists.
- Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale by Nicola Alexandra, a fan-made movie trailer for the Little Mermaid.
- The Disappearance of a Girl by Phildel. This music video does not actually contain any mermaids but is more mermaid-themed, as many of Phildel’s music videos are.
- The Angry Mermaid by Friends of the Earth International, which seeks to raise awareness and promote action regarding climate change and ocean conservation.
- Compendium II: The Sirens also by the Vancouver Film School. It is part of a series that is a re-imagining of the classic tale of Odysseus.
- Kristen McMenamy: The Little Mermaid by Tim Walker, from his series “Far, Far From Land” for W Magazine, in which supermodel Kristen McMenamy gracefully floats in a human-size fish tank. Walker’s article and photography can be found here
- The Little Mermaid, the classic animated short film from 1975 which closely follows the original story by Hans Christian Anderson
- The Mermaid Short by Wizz, an CGI Animated short film
No Ordinary Love by Sade, an iconic music video from 2009 that tells the story of a mermaid in love
If anyone has any others to add, I would love to hear suggestions.
© Obliquity of the Ecliptic